Sunday, May 12, 2013

Reading Journal: Mr. Fox, by Helen Oyeyemi (2011)

A beatiful magic-realist tale of a love triangle between a writer, his wife and his protagonist, and one that keeps you off-balance by changing points of view and flipping from the primary action to stories that the writer and the protagonist are writing back and forth to each other - the very game that so incenses the writer's wife. Oyeyemi takes the bold move, too, of having the affair blossom through a series of exchanged letters, a bit of an opening hump to get over but certainly a pleasurable one. I don't pretend that I knew exactly what was real and what was imagined, or what was going on in every scene, but I loved the simple style that made the work into an almost-fairytale, not to mention the 1930s setting. Most importantly, I knew the moment I finished it that I wanted to read it again. A brilliant novel.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED this book. I plan to read it again. And I bought another copy to give as a gift to a friend. I was a literature major, and so were many of my friends. I get why some people don't like this book. But it was a GEM of a find for me! I can't believe it wasn't nominated for anything!
    AC Repair Mckinney service

    ReplyDelete